25.3.10

13 Tips For A Fuel Efficient Driving

Gas price is on its highest again since 2008 and no one could guess when this situation ends. Somebody out there is controlling the price of this very useful commodity. If someone could only get our acts together and put an end to this. I am a woman, who happens to work in the medical field, just trying to live simple enough to save for my family, and I don’t really much have the techno and the mechanism of an automobile. Oh yes, good enough for my family to understand the expense of driving a car. To drive you need to buy a car, and that is one big expense. To go from point A to B you need to put a gas on it, and the list goes on. All I know is whenever I have the urge to go somewhere, I click the remote, sit in the car, turn on the engine, shift the gear and drive. I didn’t even know how to fill up the gas tank until recently my husband taught me.

Let me summarized one more time, to have the luxury going anywhere you need the ff:

1) Drivers license - cost P2000/3yrs
2) Buy a car – decent price of P300,00
3) Car registration/ insurance – P4000/yr
4) Gas – with my average daily needs P100/month
5) Maintenance – P300 per month including car wash, oil and filter change,

I have tried to gather all the information (not only from my own experience) from friends and from you the internet users and here’s what I got. I hope it helps you in some other ways saving those hard earned money and most of all, less polluting on the environment.

1. Drive less, take public transportation. Exercise if you can by walking or riding a bike, it’s also good for the environment
2. Drive during less busy times if possible ( a vehicle in motion burns less fuel compared to one sitting in traffic)
3. Don't spend more than 45 seconds warming up your car. Or you can slow start moving the car while warming up
4. Do not use air conditioning unless it is needed. Use of AC can lower your fuel economy by 10 percent
5. Fill up tank slowly - you get less air and more gas
6. Fill up in the morning or evening and not during the daytime. Gas is usually more dense when it's cold. . .and therefore you get more bang for your money
7. Only half fill your tank to save weight, less weight will be less harder for the engine
8. Keep your tires properly inflated. They said inflating your tires a little over is good, less friction between the tire and the road but it sacrifices your safety
9. Remove all excess items from your car or trunk area. The extra weight will cause you to get worse gas mileage
10. Do not make sudden stops or start your engine quickly. Gradual acceleration and deceleration makes your engine run better and consume less fuel and save money. Keep a distance and maintain a certain speed without braking too much.
11. Watch your speed. Driving at 120 kph on expressway rather than 90 kph will save you money by improving your fuel economy
12. Know your area well, find good gas prices where you can get the best return for your money
13. Apply for a credit card which offers gas savings when you use the card for purchases